Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book Blog #2: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Premise
     Hazel Grace is your ordinary teenager. Except for the small fact that she has all sorts of cancer inside her and needs an oxygen tank by her side at all times. The realistic fiction novel The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a wonderfully tragic story about two cancer patients that fall in love. It all started one day in Hazel's cancer support group, when she sees Augustus Waters staring at her from across the room. They start to talk and soon become flirtatious friends. Hazel shares her favorite book with him, An Imperial Affliction, and they both obsess over it's unresolved ending. Augustus then uses his wish (the 'Wish' that they grant to dying kids) to take him and Hazel to Amsterdam, where the author of that book lives. While they are there, they meet the author (who turns out to be a real jerk) and Augustus tells Hazel some tragic news.


Favorite Characters
     My favorite character in this book is definitely Augustus Waters. There are many reasons for this. One reason is that he's super hot and still has brains! His character isn't one of those stereotypical jocks who fail every class but are great at football, which somehow makes it acceptable. Through the book, he demonstrates his intelligence by all of his talks with Hazel about the book An Imperial Affliction. I would describe Augustus Waters as a witty, caring, all around wonderful person. 


SPOILER ALERT!!
STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK! 
     While Hazel and Augustus are in Amsterdam, he tells her that his cancer is back, and it's worse than before. He went to the doctor to get checked, and he "lit up like a Christmas tree". Of course Hazel is devastated, but she stays by his side until the very end. He makes her hold him a pre-funeral so he would get to hear the speech she wrote him. Eight days later, Augustus Waters died. (cue the tears). Hazel finds a note that he had written her, concluded by saying

"you do have some say in what hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers"


"I do, Augustus. 
  I do."

5 comments:

  1. Your book blog was excellent. I liked how your introduction was very detailed. Also, I have never read this book but you gave a clear description so I knew what was going on. I also liked how you included a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you put a picture, you described the book very well! You gave a very clear description which helped me understand the book better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Emily. I liked how you explained your premise. I, also, liked how you added a spoiler alert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about reading that book because it is so good and now I'm just going to have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this book! Your summary almost made me cry tho, it brings back memories of Agustus :'(

    ReplyDelete